Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Trip Across the Pacific

Well, as you can see, my dates don't coiincide with my blog. I just created the blog today, and am updating you guys on all of my adventures thus far. I am copying a lot from my journal that I have been keeping the entire time, so the information and feelings are accurate to that time period. Anyway, just thought you should know in case you were confused about the dates posted. It is October 2nd today, and we just left Saigon, Vietnam, for Bangkok, Thailand.We left Hawaii three days ago for our first foreign visit, Japan. The ocean is so vast out here, as it dissapears beyond the horizon in all directions, with nothing breaking the 180 degree line that encompasses us here on our journey. I have gotten used to the rocking of the ship, as I only felt sick one day, and that was between Mexico and Hawaii. The captain says we are headed for some rough seas though, as we will be passing between two typhoons. The nightfall is my favorite time on the ship. As the clear warm sunny days turn into a glowing sky of stars, planets, and God knows what else. The most breathtaking examination of the night sky came last night. It was undescribeable. I saw the entire milky way. The wide strip of billions of stars that make up the milky way stretched from one end of the sea, passing overhead, and extending towards the opposite direction until it fadded behind the black ocean. I look foward to many more of these nights, as well as land.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Gary-
I love the entry about the star gazing!! Miss you
Papi